Louie Alas recalls own unfulfilled PBA dream after drafting of sons Kevin, Kristofferson
The drafting of Kevin (No. 2 overall) and Kristofferson Alas (No. 14) held special meaning for dad Louie, who was drafted by Purefoods (now San Mig) back in 1991, only to see a potential career in the PBA aborted by an ACL injury. Jerome Ascano

ALASKA assistant coach Louie Alas couldn’t have said it better.

As he heard the names of sons Kevin Loiue and Kristofferson called out during the last PBA Annual Rookie Draft, he can’t help but look back on his own situation more than two decades ago when a potential pro career was suddenly railroaded by a freak accident.

Kevin was tabbed by Rain or Shine as the No. 2 pick overall, while Kristofferson joined his father at Alaska when the Aces picked him in the second round at 14th overall.

“Nag-flashback lahat sa akin,” said a beaming Louie Alas when asked by Spin.ph what was going through his mind the time he saw both his children go up the stage and welcomed by their respective mother teams with the traditional jacket and cap given to all rookie draftees.

“Sobrang saya ko. Nasabi ko sa sarili ko, 'Yung unfinished business ko noon, sila ang gagawa.'”

Louie Alas was full of hope and promise back in 1990 when he was picked by Purefoods in the Rookie Draft (third round) that had Cebuano hotshot Allan Peter Jao emerging as the No. 1 overall selection.

The former national coach was in fact already joining the Hotdogs in their scrimmages and practices and was actually about to sign with the franchise which had the likes of Alvin Patrimonio, Jerry Codinera, and Glenn Capacio leading its young core.

Then disaster struck.

“Na-ACL ako, pre,” he recalled of the unfortunate incident. “Actually nag-la-laterals lang kami, mga drills nung nangyari 'yun.”

Unlike now, ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) tears were then considered career-threatening injuries, a big blow for an athlete like Louie, who was full of hope of finally making his childhood wish come true.

The contract and offer to play naturally, never came after that.

He was doing so good in practice that Louie became hard on himself following the accident, which took him all of nine months to recover.

...continue to next page