IF Barangay Ginebra hits the jackpot and gets the top pick overall in the 2013 PBA rookie draft, team coaches and officials are 'almost unanimous' in choosing Ian Sangalang over seven-footer Greg Slaughter.
That is, unless Bobby Parks changes the Gin Kings' plans.
A team insider said Ginebra coaches and officials, except for one or two exceptions, prefer to draft the versatile and mobile Sangalang if the team gets to dip its hands into the draft pool ahead of everybody else.
Ginebra coaches, the insider added, feel the 6-7 former NCAA MVP out of San Sebastian will fit better into the team's run-and-gun system and wants to pick him, even if it not every year that a player as tall as Slaughter becomes available in the rookie draft.
“Ngayon kasi, Ian Sangalang ang kursunada namin. 'Yun ang kailangan namin. Big man na tumatakbo,” said the Ginebra insider.
Ginebra owns the first-round draft right of the Air21 Express, which finished eighth in the league's first two conferences this season before bowing out at the first stage of the Governors Cup.
Ginebra, through Air21, will most likely participate in a lottery with Globalport - whose draft right is held by San Mig Coffee - to determine which team gets the first pick overall in the November draft.
The lottery will be held on Friday during a PBA Finals game.
However, Ginebra's plans are bound to change if National University star Parks puts his name in the draft pool. Coaches are unanimous in picking the son of the late PBA import Bobby Parks, the source said, for one simple reason.
"He will be the best talent available," said the source. "Kaya inaantabayanan namin yung Parks, pag biglang sumali sa draft yun… maaring mabago ang plano.”
Since the Bulldogs' disappointing exit from the Final Four after successive losses to University of Santo Tomas Tigers last week, no word has been heard from the camp of Parks.
All he said after the loss is that he, too, is uncertain about a lot of things. [For full story, see After disappointing NU exit, Parks faces future filled with uncertainties]
Even the team manager of PBA D-League newcomer Banco de Oro, which has Parks in its lineup as part of a school tie-up with NU, is clueless on the plan of Bobby Ray.
“We’re still waiting for him. He is in our lineup. Pero wala kaming guarantee na he will play,” said the amiable team official.
Even NU sports Director Junel Baculi has no answer when asked about Parks' plan.
“Sa ngayon hindi pa namin siya nakaka-usap. We are still giving him time. We are giving him the space he needs. It was a painful loss so we know how he feels,” said Baculi.
The former US NCAA Division I prospect has until October 18 to submit his documents and application form for the draft, which is already scheduled on November 3 at the Robinson’s Place in Manila.