Rank Country Gold Silver Bronze Total
    View Today
    Sun, Nov 5

    Salud warns of ban on Cornley as PBA import trouble piles up

    Salud warns of ban on jailed player as PBA's import trouble piles up
    Mar 27, 2013
    “If the allegations and charges are proven to be true, I see Mr. (Jamelle) Cornley as having zero chance of playing in the PBA again, at least not under my watch,” says Commissioner Chito Salud. Jerome Ascano

    PBA commissioner Chito Salud warned on Wednesday that former Rain or Shine import Jamelle Cornley “won’t have any chance of playing in the PBA again” if allegations made against him by police prove to be true.

    “I understand that this is now a police matter where facts will continue to be established. Mr. Cornley is not currently associated with the PBA in any manner whatsoever,” said Salud in a statement released to the media.

    “Be that as it may, I'd perhaps take the occasion to remind our players that playing in the PBA is imbued with public interest and they are thus, subject to close public scrutiny within the context of higher standards and expectations.

    “If the allegations and charges in this incident are proven to be true, I see Mr. Cornley as having zero chance of playing in the PBA again, at least not under my watch.”

    Cornley, the best import in last season’s Governors Cup when the Painters won their maiden league title, is currently detained in a Quezon City police station for an attack on a lawman, among other allegations.

    The muscle-bound import claimed three prostitutes he brought to a Quezon City hotel robbed him of US$1,400 and flew into a rage when he felt hotel employees showed no concern and didn’t even bother to help.

    The incident comes just weeks after another import, Renaldo Balkman, confronted game officials and attacked Petron teammate Arwind Santos near the end of a game against Alaska, leading to a lifetime ban from the league.

    Just last week, import Walter Sharpe was sacked by Globalport and fined P40,000 by Salud after pictures of him passing out in a parking lot in front of a row of bars in Pasig City went viral.

    ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓

    Get more of the latest sports news & updates on SPIN.ph

    Read Next
    Watch Now
    Sorry, no results found for
    “If the allegations and charges are proven to be true, I see Mr. (Jamelle) Cornley as having zero chance of playing in the PBA again, at least not under my watch,” says Commissioner Chito Salud. Jerome Ascano
  • POLL

    • Quiz

      Quiz Result