THE wait is over for professional sports including the PBA after the Games and Amusements Board-Philippine Sports Commission-Department of Health Joint Administrative Order for the resumption of training was signed on Monday.
GAB chairman Baham Mitra confirmed the development.
"Finally, the wait is over - the JAO has been signed," said Mitra in a statement. "Last month, I and Commissioners Ed Trinidad and Mar Masanguid approached the IATF and DOH to ask for their guidance on how to safely reboot the operations of professional sports in the country."
The signatories in the JAO were Mitra, PSC chairman William Ramirez and Health secretary Francisco Duque.
"Chairman Ramirez, Secretary Duque, and I have already signed the joint admin order. We are so happy and excited that finally after more than four months our professional football and basketball players can now shake off some pounds they may have acquired during the quarantine."
Mitra also hopes the sports will soon be allowed to return to action.
"We expect them to practice maybe for a month or two to be match fit and hopefully when quarantine levels go down, they may be allowed to eventually play. It is effective immediately," Mitra said.
For pro basketball and football, a maximum of five players can conduct training in general community quarantine (GCQ) areas while a maximum of 10 players can practice in places under modified general community quarantine (MGCQ).
GAB said fines may be issued and even legal action may be taken against violators of the protocols.
Meanwhile, championship and non-championship combat sports fights involving a GAB-licensed athlete may be permitted in moderate risk areas under GCQ and MGCQ, with modifiers.