SAN Mig star Marc Pingris admitted that the Mixers are in disarray both offensively and defensively after they opened the PBA’s 39th season with three successive losses.
Still, the Gilas Pilipinas star isn't surprised by the early season struggle of the Mixers, who, after winning the Governors' Cup title, only had a week to prepare for the new season and integrate several new faces into its system.
Worse, Tim Cone's side has been forced to rely on hisrookies so early in their stay with the Mixers owing to injuries to Joe Devance and Peter Jun Simon.
The result has been predictably bad.
They Said It!
“Kailangan uli naming pag-usapan at pag-aralan ang sistema ng team." - Marc Pingris on San Mig Coffee's recent troubles.
“Medyo struggle ng konti ang team. Kailangan naming bumalik sa basics ng triangle (offense),” said Pingris after San Mig dropped a 78-91 decision against Petron in a rematch between last month’s Governors' Cup protagonists that wasn't even close.
The 32-year-old San Mig veteran also feels complacency seems to have crept into the team owing to the hangover from the Governors' Cup.
“Ewan ko kung kulang ba kami sa gigil ngayon or parang okay na kami. Kasi galing sa champion, so parang kampante kami,” said the former PSBA Blue Jaguars star.
Still, after three straight losses, Pingris said it is time to buckle down to work.
Between now and San Mig's next game against Air21 on Sunday, Pingris said they have no other plans but to keep working on their triangle offense so that rookies Ian Sangalang, Isaac Holstein and JR Cawaling can better grasp Cone’s trademark offense.
More importantly, the big man said they need to work on their defense since they are not where they are supposed to be at this point.
“Kailangan uli naming pag-usapan at pag-aralan ang sistema ng team. Kami ni Joe (Devance) at Rafi (Reavis) naman, kailangan naming ituro ang defense at offense namin sa mga rookies,” he said.
"Kasi, okay naman yung nakaka-shoot kami, pero yung plano sa defense wala pa eh."