THE PBA will definitely hold games at the newly-opened Philippine Arena in Bulacan, a top official told Spin.ph on Monday.
According to media bureau chief Willie Marcial, pro league officials have already done an ocular inspection of what has been billed as the largest domed arena in the world as early as last year.
The Philippine Arena, which has a capacity of 55,000, was opened on Monday with no less than President Aquino and Iglesia Ni Cristo executive minister Eduardo Manalo in attendance.
Aside from hosting Iglesia Ni Cristo gatherings, the Philippine Arena will be open to host sports and entertainment events, so long as these do not involve gambling, officials said.
Marcial, who is also a special assistant to Commissioner Chito Salud, said they have already held talks with Iglesia Ni Cristo officials about playing games at the venue in the coming PBA season.
“Pinag-uusapan pa lang pero may possibility talaga na maglaro doon,” Marcial told Spin.ph. “Napuntahan na namin ‘yun habang ginagawa pa lang last year.”
Some sports organizers are turned off by the long travel time it will take for Manila fans to get to the venue, but PBA officials do not seem as concerned.
“Hindi pa namin alam kung papaano gagawin doon. Pero pinag-uusapan pa,” said Marcial.
There are also concerns that the cavernous stadium may look too bare during regular PBA games, but Marcial said that, too, may not be a problem.
“Puwede daw nilang gawing 50,000 (ang capacity), puwede rin nila gawing 20,000," he said. "Hindi ko alam kung papaano nila gagawin ‘yun pero silya palang sa general admission ang nakita namin, wala pa sa baba."