THE plan has been laid down and everything put into order.
Except for an important piece of paper: The IATF (Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases) approval giving PBA teams the go-signal to finally hold scrimmages.
While the league already announced its planned bubble at the New Clark City in Pampanga and the possible season restart by Oct. 9, the PBA can’t still proceed with the staging of the Philippine Cup if the IATF won’t allow it.
Commissioner Willie Marcial already wrote the government agency a formal letter about team scrimmages officially being permitted as early as last week even under a General Community Quarantine (GCQ) status.
But until the league held a virtual press briefing Thursday announcing the possible resumption of the season through a bubble in Pampanga, there’s still no word yet on whether the IATF would approve the PBA request.
It didn’t help any that IATF co-chairman Karlo Nograles announced over the weekend about his doubts on the resumption of basketball scrimmages or any contact sports soon.
“Because of the number of COVID-19 cases, we are not yet confident enough to allow contact sports,” said the cabinet secretary.

Board chairman Ricky Vargas however, remained positive it’s just a matter of time before the PBA is given the green light by the government.
“We’re very positive that this will push through. This is good for us, its’ good for the people, it’s good for the economy. It will open up your television set to a content that is going to be very important to us who loves basketball,” said the TnT Katropa governor.
"I’m not thinking of the negative. But if it happens, I’m sure we’ll be able to survive that. We’ve survived six months already of no games. And here we are, we’re going to push through with your help.”
Marcial is keeping his fingers crossed the IATF approval will be out by next week.
“Hopefully by Friday next week, tignan natin kung papayagan tayong mag-scrimmage dito sa Metro Manila. Kung hindi bigyan tayo ng go-signal na mag-scrimmages na sa Clark, diretso na sa game,” said the commissioner.
“So yun lang ang hinihintay namin.”
At the most, the league can still push back its opening by Oct. 11 until 13 should there is a delay in the IATF approval.
That way, the league could still wrap up the season with still more than a week before Christmas.
___
Spin fans unite at the Spin Viber Community! Join the growing community now and complete the experience by subscribing to the Spin Chatbot.
Get more of the latest sports news & updates on SPIN.ph