THE PBA hopes that general community quarantine (GCQ) will allow teams to resume practices in preparation for the 2020 season.
PBA commissioner Willie Marcial said the league continues to wait for instructions from the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID), which is expected to make a decision soon on whether to extend the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) on June 1.
The PBA will hold a board meeting on June 3 to determine what actions the league will take after the IATF announcement.
The Metro Manila Council unanimously recommended a shift to GCQ on June 1 that will relax restrictions on movement of people and industries, including mass gatherings like sports events.
Marcial hopes that the expected shift to GCQ on June 1 will allow practices, which is one of the steps for teams to prepare for the resumption of games.
The first steps toward resumption is team training and scrimmages. Tune-up games and intersquad scrimmages, Marcial said, will still not be allowed even if the IATF gives a go-signal for practices to resume.
“Hihintayin ko rin ‘yung decision pero palagay ko, kahit practice na walang scrimmages, ‘yung lima lima lang tapos talagang conditioning lang, walang laro, baka pupuwede na,” said Marcial.
So far, sports activities are only limited to indoor and outdoor non-contact sports in GCQ areas, with sports events allowed to be staged in modified GCQ areas with only 50 percent of seating capacity of venues permitted to enter the venue.