THE PBA Commissioner's Office on Wednesday handed down fines totalling P63,500 to 11 players and coaches for a wide range of violations, from flagrant fouls to flops to 'addressing the commissioner.'
Phoenix big man Norbert Torres bore the brunt of the penalties, getting hit with a one-game suspension and a P20,000 fine for a flagrant foul 2 (FFP2) committed against Star's Ian Sangalang which the league said 'resulted in fire consequences.'
Most of the other violations were for flagrant fouls and resentment to calls, but Meralco coach Norman Black got a P1,000 fine for a technical foul for continuous complaining and an extra P3,000 'for addressing the commissioner during a live game.'
Another player, San Miguel's Ronald Tubid, was slapped a P2,000 penalty 'for disrespecting referee Edith Botecario.' The league said the SMB veteran 'applauded in a sarcastic manner' after a call made by the woman referee.
On the other hand, Phoenix import Eugene Phelps was slapped a P3,000 fine for flopping on top of a P1,000 for a technical foul.
Other players penalized by Commissioner Chito Narvasa include:
* Mahindra import James White fined P5,000 for FFP1 infraction against Jeff Chan.
* TNT player Troy Rosario fined P5,000 for FFP1 against Michael Singletary [bumped on an airborne player].
* TNT player Kris Rosales fined P7,500 for FFP1 (landing spot) against Mah’d N.J. Abdeen.
* ROS import Jason Forte fined P7,500.00 for FFP1 (landing spot) against Henry Walker.
* Phoenix player Prince Caperal fined P5,000.00 FFP1 against Dwayne Wright.
* Fined Phoenix player Ronjay Buenafe fined P1,000 for technical foul (resentment to a call).
* Meralco import Allen Durham fined P7,500 for FFP1 (Landing spot) against Jericho Cruz.