THE PBA will most likely hold either two conferences or a conference once it resumes its 2020 season, depending on when the government will finally lift the enhanced community quarantine imposed on Luzon island.
PBA commissioner Willie Marcial made the announcement following a video conference with the board of governors on Tuesday. But Marcial said nothing is cast in stone yet due to the uncertainty of the coronavirus (Covid-19) situation.
Marcial said the board is also open to play just one conference if the ECQ is extended again.
“Tinitignan talaga ng governors kung ano ang makakabuti sa mga tao. Eh kung humaba, baka one conference na lang. As of now, ang tinutumbok is two conferences,” said Marcial following the league’s board meeting on Tuesday.
Marcial said the PBA board will meet once again via video conference before April 30, when the extended ECQ all over Luzon is set to end.
The league adopted a two-conference season from 2003 to 2010 during the time of former commissioners Noli Eala and Sonny Barrios.
So far, only one game was played this season, which saw San Miguel beat Magnolia in the Philippine Cup opener before Metro Manila was put on a virtual lockdown.
Meanwhile, Marcial added that the board has not decided on whether the D-League Aspirants’ Cup will push through as the holding of the tournament will depend on when college leagues will hold their 2020 season.
Marcial added the 3x3 tournament will be held three weeks after the resumption of the Philippine Cup.
The PBA board has also agreed to donate P1 million worth of personal protective equipment (PPE) to hospitals nationwide.
During the entire time the league had a three-conference format, the PBA only had a two-conference season in 1981, but only to give way for the country’s hosting of the 1981 Southeast Asian Games.