Terrence Romeo accused of punching Eman Monfort as fight stops Ginebra-GlobalPort tune-up game
GlobalPort guard Terrence Romeo was at the center of a fracas that erupted in a practice game against Ginebra on Friday. Jerome Ascano

GLOBALPORT star Terrence Romeo is in hot water after being accused of throwing a punch at Ginebra guard Eman Monfort in a fight that marred the two teams' practice game on Friday at the Green Meadows gym.

Information reaching Spin.ph bared that Romeo and Monfort figured in a couple of highly physical plays that had the GlobalPort guard losing his cool and throwing a punch at the smaller Monfort infront of the Ginebra bench.

Another witness said Romeo was tripped by Monfort before the punching incident, which nearly sparked a melee.

“Napikon si Terrence, biglang unundayan ng suntok si Monfort. Muntik nang nag-free for all 'yung pangyayari,” said one of the witnesses of incident that erupted with Ginebra leading the Batang Pier, 38-31.

“Lulusob sana yung Kelly Nabong at Carlo Sharma, pero naawat din sila agad. May ilang players din ng Ginebra ang mainit. Buti na lang napigil agad,” he added.

The fight forced officials to call off the sanctioned tune-up game and may lead to summons for the parties involved.

Another source bared that Nabong immediately went to the officials to say sorry while Romeo remained firm in his claim that he was hurt on purpose, prompting him to retaliate.

An official from GlobalPort admitted the physicality of the game sparked the melee.

“May pito kasi na hindi daw ibinigay kay Terrence tapos masyadong nasaktan dun sa depensa sa kanya, kaya out of frustration medyo nakabitaw ng suntok,” he added.

“Naipit pa nga sa gitna yung dalawang coaches (Eric Gonzales and Ato Agustin). Kasi isa sila sa mga umawat ng maaga otherwise, baka kung ano pa nangyari,” he said.

“Hindi ko napansin kung sumuntok yung Monfort,” said another source, who added that the shot clock had already expired when the fracas occurred.

Both teams played without an import.


Management from both teams pleaded with game officials to proceed with the game, but the referees decided on cancel the tune-up.

 “Ayaw na ng referees, rules daw 'yun na kapag nag-away, hindi na itutuloy,” he said.

Follow the writer on Twitter: @snowbadua