Ginebra on the lookout for new import after Crawford backs out, says Tim Cone
Ginebra will have to wait longer to know its import for the Governors' Cup. Karlo Sacamos

BARANGAY Ginebra is on the lookout for a new import for the PBA Governors' Cup after original choice Drew Crawford backed out to give the NBA Summer League another shot.

Ginebra coach Tim Cone confirmed to SPIN.ph on Tuesday that Crawford will no longer play for the team, just five days after announcing a deal with the  former Northwestern Wildcat in the team’s first practice for the season-ending conference last week.

“Drew Crawford backed out stating he wanted to play in the NBA Summer League,” said Cone.

Crawford, son of a veteran NBA referee, was initially tapped by Ginebra after management dropped its plan to bring back Othyus Jeffers, who had played for the Gin Kings in the Commissioner's Cup.

[See Ginebra tapping Drew Crawford as import, says Cone]

Crawford came up short of a stint in the NBA when he was signed then later waived by the Orlando Magic after playing for the New Orleans Pelicans in the 2014 Summer League. 

Team sources said among the candidates for the Ginebra import job is Paul Harris, who, like Jeffers, had previously played for Talk 'N Text (now Tropang TNT).

Harris has had three stints with Talk 'N Text, the last in 2014 where he logged averages 25.62 points, 12 rebounds and 2.52 assists.

Follow the writer on Twitter: @spinph