Justin Brownlee shows up for Ginebra practice few hours after hospital discharge
Justine Brownlee had a game-high 31 points on 13 of 25 shooting, to go with 13 rebounds in 29 minutes of play before sitting out the final stretch due to body cramps. Jaime Campos

BARANGAY Ginebra import Justine Brownlee was hardly the picture of someone who was dehydrated and discharged from the hospital less than 24 hours ago.

The 28-year-old American was up and about on Monday when he attended the practice of the Kings at the CCF gymnasium in Ortigas the day after the team’s 109-100 loss to the Alaska Aces in the PBA Governors Cup.

Brownlee battled body cramps during his debut with the league’s most popular team that kept him from playing in the final few minutes of the extra period when Alaska made the game's most decisive run.

Still, the replacement import for the injured Paul Harris managed to finish with a game-high 31 points on 13 of 25 shooting, to go with 13 rebounds in 29 minutes of play.

Despite Brownlee's presence in practice, coach Tim Cone deemed it best for the import take things easy.

“He came to practice this morning but did limited participation,” said Cone.

[See Tenorio hopes Brownlee adjusts quickly to PH weather as hectic sked looms for Ginebra]

Team board of governor Alfrancis Chua confirmed Brownlee was brought directly to the hospital shortly after the Ginebra game as he experienced pain and had trouble walking due to body cramps.

He was supposed to be brought out of the Smart Araneta Coliseum on a stretcher, but refused to do so.

“Nag-cramps yung buong katawan niya kaya dinala na sa hospital (The Medical City),” said Chua.

The former St. John’s stalwart was put on IV and discharged from the hospital at around 2 a.m. of Monday.

“Na-dehydrate, but he’s doing fine. Inubos na lang yung nasa dextrose niya and then na-discharge na din naman siya,” added the Ginebra team manager.

Fatigue and jetlag obviously caught up with Brownlee, who arrived in the country on Thursday and then immediately plunged into a hard practice with Ginebra for two straight days.


The veteran NBA D-League campaigner was already suffering cramps during regulation play. Brownlee tried to play for a minute in overtime period, but had to be taken out of the game when he could no longer go on.

The import was later seen grimacing in pain over at the Ginebra bench while the team’s utility staff was massaging both his legs.

But the couple of days rest give Brownlee the time to recover and recuperate for the Kings’ coming game against NLEX this Wednesday.

“Nothing serious, he’s ready to go, he’s ready to play,” said Chua.

Follow the writer on Twitter: @gerardmos