MARCIO Lassiter said he regrets missing the PBA All-Star game for the second straight year, hoping that the third time will be the charm in the following season.
The San Miguel Beer sniper is among those who failed to make the cut in the annual showcase set on Sunday at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum, after not getting enough fan votes to be a starter and coaches votes to even be a reserve.
“I'm just grateful to be here, just playing every day. I love the fans so much and, you know, I'm still young. There's always next year,” the 29-year-old Lassiter said after SMB’s 109-100 win over Star in the Governors’ Cup on Sunday night.
“But I'm pretty sure I'm gonna stay healthy and keep showing the fans what they wanna see, keep playing my heart out every game,” he added. “We'll see what happens in the future.”
The Filipino-American cager, who made three consecutive All-Star appearances from 2012 to 2014 before missing last year and this season, would’ve suited up for the North team as he traces his Filipino roots to Ilocos Sur.
Bronchitis also prevented the 6-foot-3 gunner from suiting up for Gilas Pilipinas in the Olympic Qualifying Tournament last month in Manila.
Asked if he is still nursing an injury and if it had anything to do with him getting snubbed, Lassiter declined to answer, instead saying those who were voted in deserved their respective spots.
“I can't say anything about that (injury),” Lassiter said. “I don't wanna keep my guard down or anything like that. It is what it is, I can't really get too mad about it.”
“I think the guys who are playing deserve it also,” he added. “So you can't say they don't deserve (it). Kudos to them and they deserve to be out there also.”
Jayson Castro, Paul Lee, Stanley Pringle, Alex Cabagnot, Gabe Norwood, Ranidel de Ocampo, and Troy Rosario were voted as the reserves, while Calvin Abueva, Terrence Romeo, Marc Pingris, Mark Caguioa, and Japeth Aguilar will start for the North squad.