Sorry, no results found for
    View Today
    Tue, Aug 14

    Fully recharged or not, Marc Pingris vows to pour it on for Gilas starting in Miami training camp

    Jul 24, 2014
    Marc Pingris had a two-week break from basketball after San Mig completed its PBA grand slam. Jaime Campos

    WHETHER or not the two-week break was enough to get him back to 100 percent physically, Marc Pingris intends to pour it on once they set foot in Miami for Gilas Pilipinas’ training camp.

    The do-it-all forward coming off a grand slam season with San Mig was not activated for last week’s Fiba Asia Cup in Wuhan, and his break was extended when the scheduled match between Gilas Pilipinas and NBA players was cancelled.

    So for Pingris the work starts in earnest in Miami. No less than Jimmy Alapag, at 36 Gilas’ senior citizen who was also inactive for the Wuhan stint, reminded Pingris about the work to be done.

    “Sabi nga sa amin ni Jimmy, pagdating namin ng Miami, yun na ang unang giyerang pupuntahan namin. And nire-represent namin ang bansa,” Pingris told Spin.ph on Thursday.

    Gilas Pilipinas leaves on Friday morning and will be away until August, and Pingris made sure to spend quality time with his family before embarking on the journey.

    “Alam mo naman tayo, trabaho natin iyan (basketball). Matagal din, kahit paano nakasama ko ang pamilya ko para mag-bonding before kami umalis sa Miami,” said the 32-year-old player from Pozzorubio, Pangasinan.

    Pingris is coming off a five-day vacation in Malaysia and Singapore with his family.

    “Siyempre mga halos two months din kaming mawawala kaya bonding lang muna talaga with the family,” he added.

    Pingris played in 125 of San Mig’s 135 games the past two seasons, which is also the reason why he said, he had to take the time off from basketball.

    Continue reading below ↓

    Known as a tough his defender in the PBA who proved he can do the job against the continental rivals in the Fiba Asia Championships last year, Pingris noted that it will be much different in the world meet as they face much stronger opponents.

    “Malalaki talaga ang makakalaban natin. Pero puhunan naman natin diyan eh puso at sipag lang talaga, basta win or lose, importante ibigay lang ang best,” he added.

    Gilas leaves Manila aboard Delta Air and is expected to be in Miami after an 18-hour flight.

    More news about the cancelled Gilas-NBA game:

    Count on Pinoy netizens to find humor in face of outrage over Gilas-NBA mess

    NBA says Manila organizers did not take 'required steps' to comform with league's CBA rules

    Amid furor, support and admiration for MVP after apology for mess

    According to an insider, the group of top basketball patron Manny V. Pangilinan will end up footing a US$4.6 million bill, or around P200M.

    Gilas Pilipinas tune-up game cancelled as NBA players barred from playing in 'unsanctioned event' 

    Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas president Manny V. Pangilinan himself apologizes for the foul-up that caused the cancellation

    Some officials now face the ax after the embarrassing cancellation of the event, according to a source

    Even the Gilas Pilipinas players were surprised with the sudden change from game to mere workout with NBA players

    The NBA players actually met the morning of Tuesday after receiving threats of possible suspensions from the US league

    Commissioner Tamano warns of sanctions as GAB looks into Gilas-NBA 'farce' 

    Continue reading below ↓
    Read Next
    We recommend
    MORE FROM SUMMIT MEDIA
    Sponsored Content
    Marc Pingris had a two-week break from basketball after San Mig completed its PBA grand slam. Jaime Campos
  • POLL

    • Quiz

      Quiz Result