POTENTIAL first-round pick Jake Pascual said he is already “70 percent sure” of joining the coming PBA Annual Rookie Draft after consulting his parents and several people close to him the past few days.
The 6-foot-4 Pascual, named Best Player of last year’s PBA D-League Foundation Cup, is tipped to be the best homegrown big man among the crop of rookie applicants in the August 24 draft.
“Siguro mga 70 percent na po ako (on my decision to join the draft),” Pascual told Spin.ph on Friday.
Pascual’s NLEX teammates Kevin Alas, Garvo Lanete, and Ronald Pascual have yet to submit their respective applications, pending a re-scheduled meeting with big boss Manny V. Pangilinan this week.
The deadline for submission of application is Wednesday next week at the close of office hours at 5 p.m. The former San Beda star forward said he intends to make his decision known before lunch time on Monday.
“Baka umaga pa lang ng Monday may desisyon na ako, so kung sakali sasamahan na lang ako ni boss Danny (Espiritu, player agent),” added the 25-year-old San Beda big man, who is also part of the Gilas cadet team that retained the men’s basketball gold in last year’s Southeast Asian Games in Myanmar.
Pascual explained that while he remains in touch with Alas, Lanete, and Ronald Pascual, the four players are making their own decisions independently as far as applying for the Draft is concerned.
“Kanya-kanya na rin kasi kami ng career pagdating sa desisyon sa PBA draft. Eh nung makausap ko ang parents ko, sa tono ng salita nila, parang gusto na rin naman nila ako mag-PBA,” he said.
Pascual will be joining a lean aspirants’ pool that has Fil-foreign players Stanley Pringle and Chris Banchero who are expected to go as the possible top two picks at Robinsons Place Manila.