THE door is now wide open for Danny Seigle to return to Petron - the team he led to numerous championships in his prime - or any PBA ballclub for that matter.
Barako Bull team manager Raffy Casyao bared that although Seigle is still technically a restricted free agent, the Energy Cola franchise won't make it hard for the many-time All-Star to sign with another team.
“Hindi na namin siya pahihirapan,” said Casyao when reached by Spin.ph on Tuesday.
The Barako Bull team official said the team had an amicable parting of ways with the 37-year-old Seigle, who confirmed the break-up on Tuesday morning saying Barako had rescinded an offer for a new contract.
[For full story, see Danny Seigle now a free agent after Barako Bull rescinds contract offer]
“Maayos naman kaming nagka-usap at nagkahiwalay kagabi (Monday evening),” said Casyao on the eve of Barako Bull’s debut in the PBA Philippine Cup against Air 21 Express.
They Said It!
“Danny Seigle is an icon in Philippine basketball, he is one of the best players we worked with. His talent is incomparable. It was just unfortunate that negotiations for a new partnership did not materialize.” - Barako Bull team manager Raffy Casyao
Casyao said the team started negotiations for Seigle’s contract extension on November 4. Since then, Barako Bull has acquired Rico Maierhofer, Willy Wilson, Hans Thiele and Magi Sison - all of whom can play the same position as the 1999 Rookie of the Year awardee.
The George Chua-owned franchise even tallied a 2-1 win-loss record in their preseason campaign, minus the high- flying small forward.
“We hope he gets a new team that will welcome him and at same time, he can be of value the same way he led our franchise to a strong campaign in the 2012 Commissioner’s Cup,” he said.
Asked if Barako Bull will allow Seigle to stage a comeback with Petron Blaze, Casyao reiterated: “Basta, we will be supportive of Danny. Hindi namin siya papahirapan!”
Seigle can well re-join Petron since the Blaze Boosters still have two vacancies in their roster.
Petron coach Gee Abanilla only submitted the names of 12 players in a lineup submitted to the Commissioner's Office, leaving an opening for either Seigle or batchmate Danny Ildefonso in case the SMC flagship franchise decides to take in its former stars.