THE mutally beneficial partnership between the PBA and the EASL (East Asia Super League) appears to be heading to a breakup.
The two leagues have been partners for nearly eight years now, with the PBA providing a team to EASL's tournaments. But the PBA's participation appears uncertain this year.
READ MPBL champs Abra Weavers eyed to rep flag in next EASL season: source
SPIN.ph has been trying to determine why there has been a reported falling out but what it gathered from a source is that the partners seem to disagree on a "sensitive matter" that was not disclosed.
Because of this, the PBA may not provide a team to the forthcoming EASL tournament which it has done since 2018.
But a local team may still take part after sources said the Abra Solid North Weavers, the MPBL's defending national champion, may take the place of a PBA team.

The EASL needs a local team to play in its league as many of its games in the coming season will be held at the newly-opened SM Seaside Arena in Cebu, sources added.
The break up, however, is not yet final. People representing the two sides are reported to be holding meetings to thresh out differences.
The bond between the PBA and the EASL remain strong, sources added. The PBA, after all, has Commissioner Willie Marcial and PBA vice-chairman Alfrancis Chua on the EASL board,
Nonetheless, one PBA official wished Abra well should it become final that it will take the place of a PBA squad.
“Good luck sa kanila,” said the source.
Meralco represented the PBA in the EASL for the last three seasons, but has failed to make the playoffs each time. - Gerry Ramos
Ateneo staying in Eagles' lair - for now
With perhaps the safety and well being of its players, coaching staff and students in mind, Ateneo opened its basketball season with a game in the safe confines of its gym inside the campus in Loyola last Sunday.
It was perhaps a planned and coordinated outing. The team, the school and the students had been subjected to some of the most brutal attacks on every medium possible following the accidental deaths by drowning of two of its players during a tragic training camp in Quezon province.
By having its game in the PinoyLiga Cup against Our Lady of Fatima University at the Loyola Center, the Blue Eagles were surrounded by a friendly and sympathetic audience as the team gingerly, and perhaps, nervously played for the first time in 71 days.

They won the game, ushering the new era under the helm of Louie Alas, who replaced Tab Baldwin as head coach.
Since that tragic incident that claimed the lives of Rene Baterbonia and Divine Adili last June 8, Baldwin had been the subject of relentless vitriol, removed from his post, banned by the UAAP and faced a fine for working without a permit.
With memories of the incident still in the minds of the public, Ateneo has opted to have its basketball team play its game at the school gym.
With the win, Ateneo now advances to the Round of 16, where it will face either College of St. Benilde or San Pedro College of Business Administration.
Also to protect the players and the coaching staff, the school administration has prohibited media access to the entire basketball squad. SPIN.ph has learned that this is part of the university's effort to avoid unwanted and excessive noise surrounding the team amid the issue and the ongoing investigations.
Whether this move will help the team in the long run and repair its relations with the public is unknown.
But for certain, playing basketball and doing so in memory of their departed comrades will help in healing the wound.- John Mark Garcia
Get more of the latest sports news & updates on SPIN.ph
NOTICE ON UNAUTHORIZED AND UNLAWFUL USE, PUBLICATION, AND/OR DISSEMINATION OF SPIN.PH CONTENT: Please be notified that any unauthorized and unlawful use, publication, and/or dissemination of Spin.ph’s content and/or materials is a direct violation of its legal and exclusive rights to the same, and shall be subject to appropriate legal action/s.