RYAN Gregorio was quick to brush off the controversy caused by a tweet made by rookie player Cliff Hodge supposedly calling for the resignation of the Meralco coach following the Bolts’ 83-73 loss to San Mig Coffee in Game One of their PBA Governors Cup semifinals series.
Hodge was quick to disown the tweet, saying his account@realchodge1 has been hacked.
Gregorio played it cool and admitted he wasn’t aware of it until Hodge texted him to deny that the tweet came from him. He added such distraction won’t affect the team as it bids for a first-ever Finals stint in the league.
[For full story, see Hodge disowns tweet calling for coach's resignation, says account was hacked]
"No thoughts. We move on. There is a bigger obstacle to clear and that is San Mig Coffee,” said the Gilas Pilipinas deputy coach as he prepares the Bolts for Game Two of the semis against the Mixers on Tuesday at the Smart-Araneta Coliseum.
“Would have been different if it was really him.”
And for the one responsible for hacking the Twitter account of the high-flying freshman whom Meralco picked as the No. 4 overall selection in last year’s Draft, Gregorio has this to say.
“God bless the person who hacked/tweeted it. I respect people’s opinion, but it doesn’t mean that I will follow their advice,” said the Meralco coach.
But more than his concern for own image, Gregorio insisted that he is more anxious at how the incident will affect Hodge, his best player in Meralco’s last outing against San Mig.
“Ang worry ko kasi ngayon is how not to let the issue affect Cliff’s mindset and focus,” Grgeorio told Spin.ph shortly after talking to Hodge.
“Everybody knows he was one of my best performing players last game, kaya undoubtedly siya ang naging object of distraction,” he added.
“I told him, distractions like this will not help. “I said, ‘I know your are not capable of tweeting something like that and we have to understand that you are playing one of your best conferences in your rookie year.”