Sorry, no results found for
    View Today
    Mon, Jul 23

    Gary David says he won't mind if he loses place in World Cup-bound Gilas

    Dec 31, 2013

    THE possibility of becoming the odd man out in Gilas Pilipinas’ campaign in the 2014 Fiba-World Cup in Spain doesn’t faze Gary David once a bit.

    While coach Chot Reyes would want to retain the exact 12-man roster of the national team for the world championship in August, he also didn’t discount the possibility of tinkering with the lineup by replacing a player or two before heading to Spain.

    And following the struggle he had during the Fiba-Asia Men’s Championship, David’s name has constantly been brought up in different discussions, be it on social networking sites or in online forum.

    The 35-year-old top gun of Meralco said he hasn’t heard anything like that, but sees no problem on his part if ever he’ll be replaced in the Gilas lineup.

    “Ready naman ako sa ganun,” he admitted to Spin.ph. “Kung ganyang papalitan nila ako, wala namang problema.”

    But like any other player, David said he’s always open to suit up especially for a national cause.

     “Siyempre kung kailangan nila `yung serbisyo ko, why not,” added the deadly shooting guard out of Lyceum.

    As one of the outside gunners tapped by Reyes for the national team, David struggled with his shooting during the world championship qualifier last August at the Mall of Asia Arena. Except for a 22-point outburst in an 88-58 rout of Kazakhstan in the quarterfinals, the star player of Meralco never really got his game going during the tournament.

    Still, David said he’s ready to deliver if and when he makes the final cut for the Fiba-World Cup.

    Continue reading below ↓

    “Iba naman `yung pinakita ko sa Fiba-Asia. Malay naman natin, baka iba rin ang ipakita natin sa world championship,” he said.

    His hallow showing during the Fiba-Asia appeared to have a carry-on effect in the PLDT myDSL-PBA Philippine Cup as David has yet to really have an explosive game for the Bolts, who suffered their fourth straight loss at the hands of Ginebra before the New Year break for a 3-7 (win-loss) slate.

    David doesn’t believe he’ struggling with his shooting, saying injuries to key players, more than anything else, had been affecting the team’s campaign in the All-Filipino conference.

    “Actually, Iba `yung Gilas, iba naman `yung team ko,” he said. “Kaya hindi ko iniisip na nag-struggle ako.”

    The national team mainstay still believes the Bolts are capable of advancing to the playoffs despite their current losing streak.

    “Dahan-dahan lang makukuha namin ito. Maaga pa, hindi pa pwede sabihing suko na.”

    Read Next
    We recommend
    MORE FROM SUMMIT MEDIA
    Sponsored Content
  • POLL

    • Quiz

      Quiz Result