KEVIN Alas and Garvo Lanete are set to meet with NLEX team owner Manny V. Pangilinan next week before making a final decision on their plan to enter the coming PBA rookie draft.
Alas and Lanete, two members of the Gilas cadet pool who played big roles in NLEX’s sixth PBA D-League championship last June, could easily land in the top five of the August 24 draft.
But the two NLEX guards have yet to submit their rookie application as of the moment pending an initial meeting with NLEX team manager Ronald Dulatre next Monday and another with Pangilinan, more likely in the middle of the week.
Deadline for draft application is on August 13.
“Mga early next week yung meeting namin kay boss MVP, though kay boss Ronald, sa Monday na yun,” Lanete confirmed to Spin.ph on Friday.
Alas had earlier told Spin.ph that he’s "80 to 90 percent sure" of entering the draft amid reports that the MVP group is trying to convince some Gilas cadet standouts to shelve their draft plans and play for a new team that will take NLEX's place in the D-League.
On the other hand, Lanete, NLEX’s leading scorer in the team’s D-League Foundation Cup romp with a 17.0-point average, said he feels ripe for the PBA.
“Ako, gusto ko na rin naman talaga magpa-draft dahil tumatanda na rin po tayo at pangarap ko rin naman po maglaro sa PBA,” said the 25-year-old Lanete, younger brother of San Miguel Beer’s playmaker Chico.
“Pero hihintayin ko lang po muna kung ano sasabihin ni boss MVP, siyempre, nire-respeto ko din po siya dahil inalagaan din po niya ako since college days ko pa sa San Beda,” he added.
Should he finally decide to turn pro, the 6-foot-1 Lanete said he doesn’t mind landing in the middle of the draft order, so long as he realizes his dream of playing in the PBA.