CHRIS Newsome is tempering expectations anew as he attempts to dethrone defending champion Rey Guevarra in this year’s Slam Dunk contest of the PBA All-Stars.
The Meralco sophomore impressed in last year’s side event of the mid-season spectacle, but was denied the honor when judges favored Guevarra in the final to hand him his third straight dunk title.
The two go airborne again this week as they head the six-man field competing in the contest to be held at the Quezon Convention Center in Lucena this Friday.
Newsome said he’ll just go out there and compete for the fans.
“Win or lose, it doesn’t really mean that much to me as long as I give the fans a good show,” said Newsome, a day before participants in the Skills Challenge leave for Lucena for the second stop of the All-Star week pitting Gilas Pilipinas against the Luzon selection.
“That’s what they go there for, and that’s what they want to see. I’ll do my best to give them a show.”
Also seeing action in the dunk festival are veteran slammer JC Intal of Phoenix, James Forrester of Globalport, Barangay Ginebra rookie Jammer Jamito, and Alaska’s Marion Magat.
“I know we’ve got a really strong lineup for this year’s contest, so it should be a fun event. I’m excited to see it,” said the former Ateneo star player.
The high-flying guard is also having second thoughts of whether he’ll be showing new stunts this year the way he did last season, most notable of which was the juggle act where he juggled three basketballs before going for the dunk.
“I mean I wanted to try new tricks, but you know, based on what happened last year, I don’t think new tricks will still win,” stressed Newsome, who lost to Guevarra’s signature between-the-legs dunk in the final.
“So I guess it’s more about just doing dunks out there.”
But on second thoughts, Newsome said he’ll try to be as unique as possible, and hope to get the judges’ nod this time.
“I don’t really know how it goes, but I’ll try to be original, and continue to try to be original,” he added.