UNKNOWN to many, Thursday’s Game Six of the best-of-seven semifinal playoff between San Mig Coffee and Rain or Shine in the 2012-13 PBA Philippine Cup playoffs will already be the 10th do-or-die game for the Mixers under head coach Tim Cone, who took over the team starting in last season’s Philippine Cup.
It is the most number of do-or-die games among all the teams since last season, ahead of the eight apiece of Talk ‘N Text and the now-defunct Powerade franchise.
But the Mixers not only have the most number of do-or-die games. They also own the best record in those type of games since last season, having won seven of their previous nine.
San Mig Coffee’s (or B-Meg’s) seven do-or-die wins happened against:
· Meralco in Games Two & Three of their best-of-three quarterfinal in the 2012 Commissioner’s Cup
· Talk ‘N Text in Game Seven of the 2012 Commissioner’s Cup Finals
· Barangay Ginebra in a playoff for the second and last Finals berth in the 2012 Governors Cup; and,
· Rain or Shine in Games Five & Six of the 2012 Governors Cup Finals to extend the series to a Game Seven
· Rain or Shine in Game Five of their ongoing semis series
The Mixers’ (or the Llamados’) only two win-or-go home defeats since last season were to:
· Powerade in the 2011-12 Philippine Cup quarterfinals after losing the twice-to-beat advantage
· Game Seven of the 2012 Governors Cup Finals against Rain or Shine
Will San Mig Coffee’s luck hold on Thursday? Can the Mixers force a Game Seven?