ONLY four games remain in the elimination round of the 2012-13 PBA Philippine Cup.
Barako Bull takes on Rain or Shine while San Mig Coffee battles Globalport on Friday at the Mall of Asia Arena while Meralco goes up against the Mixers and two-time defending champion Talk ‘N Text ends the elims with its rematch against Barangay Ginebra San Miguel on Sunday in the same venue.
Seven teams – Talk ‘N Text, San Mig Coffee, Rain or Shine, Alaska, Meralco, Barangay Ginebra and Petron Blaze – are already assured of places in the quarterfinals and only one slot remains unfilled, left to be fought for by Air21 and Barako Bull.
Globalport is already out of the playoffs and is simply looking to end the conference on a winning note.
If the Energy Cola beat the Elasto Painters Friday, Barako Bull and Air21 will figure in a playoff on Monday at the Cuneta Astrodome for the eighth and last quarterfinal berth opposite the Tropang Texters. Otherwise, the Express will advance automatically to the quarterfinals and the Energy Cola join the Batang Pier in an early Christmas vacation and early preparation for the Commissioner’s Cup.
Aside from that, here are the other pertinent things you should know:
1. Win or lose against Barangay Ginebra on Sunday, Talk ‘N Text will finish the elims on top and with the No. 1 seeding in the playoffs. Even if it loses and San Mig Coffee manages to tie the Tropang Texters at 11-3, TNT will still be No. 1 as it beat the Mixers twice in the elims.
2. The Tropang Texters are going to have the twice-to-beat advantage in the quarterfinals against either Barako Bull or Air21.
3. San Mig Coffee will automatically be No. 2 and with the other twice-to-beat advantage in the quarterfinals if it wins any of its last two games. If this happens, the Mixers will square off with No. 7 Petron Blaze in the quarterfinals.
4. If San Mig Coffee loses its last two games in the elims against the Batang Pier and the Bolts and Rain or Shine beats Barako Bull, the Mixers and the Elasto Painters will figure in a playoff for the No. 2 ranking, also on Monday at the Cuneta Astrodome.
5. The quarterfinal pairings are No. 1 vs. No. 8 and No. 2 vs. No. 7 with Nos. 1 & 2 having the twice-to-beat advantage; No. 3 vs. No. 6 and No. 4 vs. No. 5 are best-of-three affairs.
6. A win by San Mig Coffee and Rain or Shine on Friday will complete the quarterfinal cast – meaning no more playoff games – and these pairings:
a. No. 1 Talk ‘N Text vs. No. 8 Air21, TNT with twice-to-beat advantage
b. No. 2 San Mig Coffee vs. No. 7 Petron Blaze, Mixers with twice-to-beat advantage
c. Best-of-3: No. 3 Rain or Shine vs. either Barangay Ginebra or Meralco
d. Other best-of-3: Alaska vs. either Meralco or Barangay Ginebra
Here the last 16 scenarios with the resulting rankings and corresponding point-differentials and PBA quotients in case of ties: