RASHAWN McCarthy has managed to sort out his “messy” situation with San Miguel Beer after all.
After agent Matt Manotoc earlier described his client’s situation as “messy” last week, the Filipino-American rookie guard has landed a spot in the Beermen's official roster released on Monday.
SMB governor Robert Non said McCarthy and fellow rookie Arnold Van Opstal are expected to sign contracts within the next few days.
“We’ll talk to them ngayon,” Non said in a short chat with SPIN.ph after the media launch of Season 42. “Siguro by tomorrow, pipirmahan na siguro yung mga yun.”
“Naging busy rin kasi kami last week,” he added.
[See Top pick Rashawn McCarthy 'on the bubble' as SMB continues to trim lineup]
McCarthy, who suited up in SMB’s two tune-up games last week against Star and Rain or Shine, and Van Opstal complete the team’s 16-man roster, which also included Chris Lutz in the injured reserve list.
The 6-1 combo guard is set to become the sixth Fil-foreign player in the SMB roster, joining Chris Ross, Marcio Lassiter, David Semerad, Van Opstal, and Lutz.
PBA laws limit teams to five Fil-foreigners in the active roster, but Lutz won't count for SMB unless he is re-activated.
League insiders said two other listed Fil-Ams, Alex Cabagnot and Brian Heruela, are not considered Fil-foreigners under league rules since both were born in the Philippines.
Non said SMB better be prepared for tougher competition.
“Lahat ng teams na yan will try to beat San Miguel,” Non said. “Kailangan lang ng San Miguel to be prepared.”