THE NCAA is taking a wait-and-see approach with regards to its future with television partner ABS-CBN following the House of Representatives' decision to deny the beleaguered network a new franchise on Friday.
NCAA Management Committee chair Fr. Vic Calvo of host Letran told Spin.ph that it is scheduled to meet top officials from the television giant to discuss how to move forward following the unfortunate news.
"The first step muna is to talk with ABS-CBN. Only then will we be able to see where we'll go," he said.
The NCAA is currently in the middle of a 10-year deal with ABS-CBN signed in 2015. That agreement extends until the centennial season of the country's oldest collegiate league in 2024-25.
They have been broadcast partners from 2002 to 2011 before the NCAA moved to TV5 for three seasons from 2012 to 2014.
Calvo said that the league is still awaiting word from ABS-CBN officials on when they could meet.
Previously, the NCAA had expressed their intention to "stick" with ABS-CBN, with last season's Mancom chair Peter Cayco of Arellano welcoming the idea of going digital through the TV network's online platforms.
Calvo has also shared the league's plans of moving forward with the 96th season, with TV specials being planned in lieu of live games until the restart of competitions, hopefully by the first quarter of 2021.
But with the embattled media giant without a free TV franchise, all those plans are up in the air.