Vince Carter plays down chances on 'possible' Slam Dunk return, but feels he can 'make it interesting'
Vince Carter is not closing the door on returning to the Slam Dunk Contest he ruled 16 years ago. AP

VINCE Carter kept the door a little open for him to make a comeback in the NBA Slam Dunk Contest.

In an interview with Memphis sports blog posted on Sunday (Monday, Manila time) on YouTube, the Grizzlies veteran said he could return to the NBA All-Star event he won in iconic fashion 16 years ago.

But the 39-year-old Carter played down his chances against the young top dunkers, like defending champ Zach Lavine, if ever he does choose to compete in the dunkfest next year.

“It’s possible,” Carter said. “I don’t know if I’d win, but I think I’d make it interesting, to say the least.”

The 19-year NBA wingman has never returned to compete, or even to judge despite two offers to do so, in the Dunk Contest since he won the title in 2000. Carter explained that he savored the All-Star break to get away from the game, making it more unlikely that he’d make a serious comeback next year when he’s already 40.

However, as the interviewer pointed out, Carter showed during training camp last year that he still has the hops to outleap NBA players and high-flyers half his age.

Carter also displayed his dunk prowess four days ago in one of Memphis’ warm-up sessions before a preseason game in a video posted on Vine. Watch the clip here and be the judge if Carter can still hang with today’s slam dunk kings.

Follow the writer on Twitter: @spinph