CHANGE is coming for the Los Angeles Lakers, the once illustrious franchise that has been down in the dumps in recent years, under the management of new president for basketball operations Magic Johnson.
But one thing is certain for the Laker legend, no matter what player movements they choose to take, last year’s second overall pick Brandon Ingram will remain with the team.
“I would say probably the only player that we would say, hey, we would probably not move is Brandon Ingram," Johnson said on Thursday (Friday, Manila time) in a radio interview with ESPN Los Angeles.
“I think that we're excited about Brandon, his length, his size, his agility, his athleticism. And then when you think about, you know, he was a baby coming in, in his first year last season and we see that he really has a high ceiling and we're excited about what he can possibly turn into," he added.
Ingram averaged 9.4 points, four rebounds and 2.1 assists in 79 games during his rookie year.
The Lakers look to add another top prospect, possibly UCLA star Lonzo Ball, with the No. 2 pick in the upcoming NBA draft to their young core composed of 2015 second overall pick D’Angelo Russell, Julius Randle, Fil-Am guard Jordan Clarkson, and Ingram.
The youth movement has the new Lakers management excited for the team’s outlook in the coming seasons.
“We have as good a young core - once we add this pick - as any [team] in the league. Even the great teams that are dominant - like Golden State - they grew through the draft. We feel like we have that type of core, for sure," said Lakers general manager Rob Pelinka at the draft lottery held early this month.