FIBA has extended its deadline for the Philippines and Australia to submit their respective positions in the brawl that marred their Fiba Basketball World Cup Asian qualifier last week at the Philippine Arena.
Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) president Al Panlilio on Thursday confirmed Fiba hasgiven the two federations until midnight of July 13 (Switzerland time or July 14, 6 a.m. Manila time) to submit their documents.
The original deadline for the SBP and Basketball Australa to submit their positions was Tuesday.
Panlilio said Fiba has sent out certain videos of the free-for-all to aid both federations in their reports on the brawl that led to th ejection of 13 players, including nine from the Philippine side.
“To be fair to both parties, they sent clips and certain angles on the court,” said Panlilio.
While penalties on the 13 ejected players can be expected, sanctions may also fall on Gilas assistant coach Jong Uichico, reserve Jio Jalalon, and even Japeth Aguilar’s father Peter for their role in the brawl.
Panlilio said the federation is expecting sanctions following the incident.
“I guess you could expect that some sanctions will happen for players and even for the federation,” said Panlilio last week. “If you look at it, you always prepare for the worst as they say. We are hoping that our position can be heard when we submit it and really considered. Hopefully, the sanctions will not be very heavy.”
“Again, expect the worst that there will be sanctions that will be given by Fiba,” said Panlilio.