ARE cracks beginning to show within the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP)?
Multiple sources disclosed to SPIN.ph that some members of the SBP board are against the move to pull out the men's basketball team from the 18th Asian Games set in Indonesia next month.
The decision not to send a men’s team to the August 18 to September 2 meet let this basketball-mad nation without a single representation in the sport following its failure to form a squad for the 3x3 contest and Perlas Pilipinas being denied a slot in the official Philippine delegation.
While basketball officials respect the SBP move, the decision actually left more questions than answers.
“Why decide to pull out when everything seemed to be in place,” an SBP board member said on condition of anonymity. “Kung ganun din naman pala, sana wala ng discussion, dati pa nag withdraw na.”
Reached for comment, SBP president Al Panlilio said he hopes the blame game will finally stop.
“Sana let’s stop it na. The decision is unpopular, but we’ve made it already,” he said in a text message on Tuesday. “My appeal is let’s move forward. Let’s stick together rather than criticize pa. Issues are very complex as you might know.”
Just last week, the PBA board already gave its blessings to Rain or Shine as the country's representative in the Asiad with a team to be coached by Yeng Guiao and reinforced by NLEX players and Gilas cadets.
But a few hours later, the SBP backtracked and made the decision that came as a shock to the entire Filipinos.
Panlilio insisted the SBP is ‘transparent’ in all its dealings.
“We are accountable for our decisions and everyone sees it, while others would rather stay off the radar,” said the SBP chief. “Problem is, if it’s good news, everyone wants to be part of it. But if it’s an issue, they stay away.”
Get more of the latest sports news & updates on SPIN.ph