RAYMOND Almazan will reach out to Gilas Pilipinas coach Chot Reyes, but is prepared to accept his fate if the national coach stands firm on his decision to keep him and Calvin Abueva out of the roster for the second window of the 2019 Fiba World Cup qualifiers.
Almazan said he has yet to talk to Reyes a day after the Gilas coach announced that he and Abueva will no longer be included in the pool of players for an away game against Australia on Feb. 22 and and a home tie against Japan on Feb. 25.
Both Abueva and Almazan had been no-shows in the three Monday practices of the team at the turn of the year, prompting Reyes and his coaching staff to make the difficult decision.
But Almazan plans to have a dialogue with Reyes one of these days to clear things out.
"Sasabihin ko (kay coach) yung reasons bakit hindi ako nakaka-attend," said the lanky Rain or Shine big man, who said he lost his mobile phone a week ago.
"May bago na ako kasing number. So tawagan ko siya and then pupunta ako ng practice."
If it is too late to change the mind of the national coach, Almasan said he couldn't do anything but respect the decision of Reyes..
"Si coach Chot may isang salita 'yun e. Pag sinabi niyang hindi, 'yun na 'yun," the 27-year-old big man said.
Almazan said he'll definitely regret missing out on a Gilas stint, but will be happy to see one slot opening up for the other players in the 15-man pool.
"Naghihinayang ako na hindi ako makakalaro. Pero hindi ako manghihinayang kasi alam ko marami namang mag fill-up sa gap (na iiwan ko)," he added.