KOREAN cage star Kim Min Goo finally issued a public apology, more than a year since figuring in a serious car accident that forced him to skip playing for the national team last year.
Kim issued the apology on Tuesday that was carried by various Korean news outlets following his first official game for the Jeonju KCC Egis team.
The game marked his return to the court following the vehicular accident that saw him sustain hip, leg, and ankle injuries after the car he was driving slammed into a traffic pole.
It was later found out Kim was drunk when the accident took place at a time when the Korean national team was in deep training for the 2014 Fiba World Cup.
“I know it was my fault, and that any excuses are unacceptable,” Kim said in a statement reported by Korea JoongAng Daily.
“I have been spending the year regretting and self-reflecting. My apology to the people who supported me will be in my heart forever,” said Kim.
“Without wearing medical aid equipment, I still can’t move my right ankle well. I want to ask forgiveness from all the people who supported me. In order to give back their love, I think I should return to the court instead of crying for my ankle,” he added.
Kim was once dubbed the future of Korean basketball and he was quick to live up to the billing when he led the team during its emotional 86-79 loss to Gilas Pilipinas during the semifinal of the 2013 Fiba-Asia Men’s Championship in Manila.
The hotshot fired a team-high 27 points during that memorable game, which he capped with a rare four-point play that gave the Koreans their last taste of the lead at 75-73 in the final 4:40 of the match.
Then came an accident that forced Kim to skip the World Cup, the 2014 Asian Games in Incheon, and the recent Korean Basketball League season.
Kim likewise was not named as part of the 16-man Korean pool that will see action in the 2015 Fiba-Asia Championship in Changsha, China this September.