NO less than Fiba wants budding star Kobe Paras to see action 2015 Fiba 3x3 World Tour Manila Masters to be held August 1 and 2 at the Robinsons Place in Manila.
Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) executive director Renauld ‘Sonny’ Barrios said he is in talks with Kobe’s father Benjie Paras about the possible appearance of his son in the Manila leg of the 3-on-3 competition.
“The Fiba request is for us to include him and it’s not just in the slam dunk contest but even in the competitions,” said Barrios during Thursday’s formal press conference of the event.
The Philippines will be represented by three teams in the meet, two of which are the Manila West squad of Terrence Romeo, Rey Guevarra, Nino Canaleta, and Aldrech Ramos which won last year’s Manila Masters, and a Cebu team that topped the national 3-on-3 competition organized by SBP early this year.
A third team is still being formed by National University coach Eric Altamirano and will be composed of PBA players and hopefully, Paras.
The participation of the young Paras, however, is not yet a sure thing,
Barrios said Kobe, who is based in the United States, is set to become part of a training camp being organized by Adidas.
“I’m still having discussions with his dad,” said the SBP official.
Paras gained attention worldwide after twice winning the slam dunk competition in the Fiba 3x3 Under-18 Championship.
Kobe has become a household name around the world that his photo is on the cover of the Fiba 3x3 Twitter account along with Romeo.
Barrios is hoping Kobe will be able to join the other Philippine team as he has yet to see action in a tournament here in the country since leaving for the US to play high school ball in California.
“We are getting a lot of request from fans,” said Barrios.