View Today
    Wed, Oct 23

    Guiao wants final cuts Erram, Lassiter, Belga, Wright to join Gilas in China

    Aug 26, 2019
    PHOTO: Jerome Ascano

    YENG Guiao wouldn’t want the final cuts from the Gilas Pilipinas 12-man roster to be totally left out when the team leaves for the Fiba World Cup.

    The national coach said he endorsed that those who failed to make the Gilas lineup join the team in the trip to Foshan, China for the August 31 to Sept. 15 showcase.

    Beau Belga and injured players Matthew Wright, Poy Erram, and Marcio Lassiter were among the final members of the Gilas pool that failed to make the team.

    “I recommended that isama yung pool for the effort that they put in, for the support that they put in,” said Guiao Sunday after formally submitting the Gilas lineup to the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP).

    “Hindi ko alam kung maaaprubahan yun or may budget for that.”

    Until they went down with injuries, Erram and Wright were both under strong consideration for inclusion in the World Cup team.

    Continue reading below ↓

    The two, along with Belga, even went with the team to Spain for its 10-day training camp.

    Wright actually had to fight it out with Mark Barroca for the 12th and final spot in the team especially since he’s been getting better after suffering a sprained ankle last week.

    MORE FROM SPIN
    MORE FROM SPIN

      “Nag-factor din diyan yung health ng mga players, nag-factor din diyan yung cohesion that they provide with the rest of the team,” said Guiao of the factors that came into play in choosing the Final 12.

      “Mahirap actually. Ilang araw na namin pinag-uusapan yan. Of course there were also circumstances that played into the decision making.”

      Read Next
      Recommended Videos
      Sorry, no results found for
      PHOTO: Jerome Ascano
    • POLL

      • Quiz

        Quiz Result