BARANGAY Ginebra big man Greg Slaughter said he will be out for two to three months as he's set to undergo arthroscopic surgery to correct a bum right ankle next week.
This was confirmed to SPIN.ph by the 6-11 slotman himself who got the news regarding his ankle on Wednesday morning.
The development also cost Slaughter the chance to compete for a spot in the Gilas Pilipinas team set to battle for a slot in the 2016 Rio Olympics through the Fiba Olympic Qualifying Tournament that will be held in Manila this July.
“Definitely disappointed with the news that I got this morning. But I will still be there to help cheer on Gilas, to help them in whatever way I possibly can,” said the former Ateneo and University of the Visayas slotman.
Slaughter divulged that his ankle troubles have hounded him since his days terrorizing the shaded lanes in Cebu while donning the green and white of the Green Lancers and have not been addressed until now.
“I did some research on it and we also ran different tests last week and we found out that everything seemed to lean right. It was determined that I have an issue with my ankle that’s causing a muscle imbalance that’s affecting my mobility. I haven’t had full mobility with my ankle ever since my UV days,” shared Slaughter.
The surgery will be done on Monday by Dr. George Canlas, after which Slaughter will let the ankle heal for three weeks before going on rehab.
This also means that Slaughter will miss part of Barangay Ginebra’s campaign during the season-ending Governors’ Cup as he is intent on not rushing back and making sure that his ankle is 100 percent healthy.