CHRIS Newsome is ready for the Gilas Pilipinas stint in Window 2 of the FIBA Basketball World Cup 2027 Asian Qualifiers after recovering from an MCL sprain suffered during the PBA Philippine Cup semifinals.
Newsome said he has been cleared by doctors for court activity since last week, allowing him to play for Meralco in the EASL on Wednesday night in what turned out to be the Bolts' farewell game of the season against the Ryukyu Golden Kings.
READ Kai Sotto won't play in Gilas matches vs Australia, New Zealand
Newsome assured he will be 100 percent healthy when the Gilas buildup begins on February 16.
“As you can see, I’m out on the court. Maybe not 100 percent, to say the least. I tried whatever I could to get back as soon as possible with the team. After the semifinals, I was able to go through the recovery process, the therapy, the rehab. All of that, just so I could try to make this game.
“I just got cleared last week, so I didn't really get too many practices under my belt especially with the in-courts. But nonetheless, that's not an excuse for me. As long as I can touch the court, I'm going to give it my all,” said Newsome.

The Meralco star suffered the injury in Game Three of the semifinals against TNT last January 9 when Chris Banchero fell while defending Rey Nambatac and landed on Newsome’s knee.
Even after playing for Meralco in the EASL last Wednesday, Newsome said he will continue rehab and therapy before entering Gilas camp. The court time with Meralco in the EASL before going into national team duties is also welcome, he added.
“My recovery is going well. I've been doing really good. Actually, I recovered ahead of time. I'm ahead of schedule for what the recovery process and time was supposed to take. I’m blessed that everything is going good. Actually, I’m happy that I was able to get back on the court and be able to get a game in before the Gilas camp.”
“I will be there on Monday. I would say I'll be 100 percent for sure by Monday. I got this time to recover for now. I'll be there. Looking forward to it. Looking forward to seeing my Gilas brothers,” said Newsome.
Newsome played 19 minutes in the EASL match-up, scoring only three points, but contributed in other ways with four rebounds and three steals. The Meralco star is glad to produce even though it didn’t result in a victory.
“I think everybody saw that tonight. Maybe it wasn’t in points, but in the effort, it was definitely there,” said Newsome.
Get more of the latest sports news & updates on SPIN.ph
NOTICE ON UNAUTHORIZED AND UNLAWFUL USE, PUBLICATION, AND/OR DISSEMINATION OF SPIN.PH CONTENT: Please be notified that any unauthorized and unlawful use, publication, and/or dissemination of Spin.ph’s content and/or materials is a direct violation of its legal and exclusive rights to the same, and shall be subject to appropriate legal action/s.