RETURNING national coach Chot Reyes stressed PBA players won’t have precedence over the Gilas cadets as far as making the final lineup for future international tournaments is concerned.
The Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas earlier reverted to the original Gilas program that taps the country’s top amateurs in the wake of the International Basketball Federation announcing its new format that will force a scheduling conflict between the PBA and Fiba tournaments.
But the SBP and PBA eventually reached a compromise, allowing one player per team to still be part of the national pool, giving the initially cadet-laden squad a lift.
Reyes, however, said spots won’t be handed to the pros on a silver platter.
“Not at all. It’s a pool,” the Gilas Pilipinas coach said on Monday night. “It depends sino maganda nilalaro.”
Reyes was just glad the league and SBP reached an agreement, which they formalized in a press conference during a lull in one game in the last Governors’ Cup Finals last month.
However, the five-time PBA Coach of the Year said there's really not much difference between the current deal with the pro league and previous agreements on the loaning of pro players to the national team.
“They just formalized it, put it into writing,” Reyes said. “At least may sure tayong may isa each (team), but there’s really no difference.”