Benjie Paras says PBA can wait as son Andre continues to impress in basketball comeback
"Kung sa sipag lang, ganyan usually hinahanap ng coaches, hindi naman laging talent e," says PBA legend Benjie Paras on son Andre. Dante Peralta  

BENJIE Paras watched intently from the sidelines as his son Andre posted another double-double in the PBA D-League Foundation Cup on Thursday. 

The younger Paras came away with 10 points and 22 rebounds to go with four blocks, but his monstrous effort again went for naught as AMA Online Education bowed to Batangas, 95-76.

The Paras patriarch was nonetheless happy with what he's seen so far from his son, who has morphed into a defensive juggernaut in his return to basketball after focusing for years on his acting career.

Through three games, the 6-4 Paras has averaged a whopping 18 rebounds and four blocks to go with 7.3 points.

No wonder some fans couldn't help but compare the undersized cager other top defensive specialists like Star Hotshots' Marc Pingris, but Benjie was quick to temper expectations.

The only PBA rookie MVP pointed out Andre's offensive arsenal is still wanting.

"Yes (hawig sa laro ni Pingris), kung ikukumpara mo yung depensa at rebounds," he said. "Pero medyo malayo pa rin. Si Marc kasi more on post-up e. Si Andre kasi, di pa natin nakikitaan ng post play."

Still, Benjie believes his son's boundless energy on both ends could be his ticket to the PBA, where some coaches put premium on effort.

"Kung sa sipag lang, ganyan usually hinahanap ng coaches, hindi naman laging talent e," said the PBA legend, whose other son, Kobe, is playing NCAA ball in the US and is coming off a stint with Team Pilipinas in the Fiba 3x3 World Cup.

But Benjie insisted there are no plans for Andre to apply for the PBA rookie draft for now, adding Andre is simply enjoying his basketball comeback.

"He'll just take it slow. Happy s'ya sa ginagawa nya," Benjie said. "Sa ngayon enjoy lang."

Follow the writer on Twitter: @janbballesteros