Rank Country Gold Silver Bronze Total
    View Today
    Sun, Nov 5

    Mixup over documents keeps Slaughter from making D-League debut

    Mixup over documents keeps Slaughter from making his D-League debut
    Nov 7, 2012
    Greg Slaughter went to the PBA office to submit a certificate of re-acquisition/retention of Philippine citizenship from the Bureau of Immigration but apparently, the league is expecting a different document. Jerome Ascano

    CONFUSION over what exact documents Greg Slaughter should submit to gain clearance to play in the PBA D-League Aspirants Cup is keeping the former Ateneo center from joining the NLEX Road Warriors.

    Slaughter on Wednesday went to the PBA office to submit a certificate of re-acquisition/retention of Philippine citizenship from the Bureau of Immigration but apparently, the league is expecting a different document.

    Thus, the Fil-American as of posting time has not been given the go-signal to play for the Road Warriors in Thursday’s match against Boracay Rum at the Trinity gym.

    “We are waiting for submission of BI order of recognition of citizenship,” said PBA commissioner Chito Salud, referring to the specific document required from Fil-Americans to be able to play in the PBA and the PBA D-League.

    However, player agent Charlie Dy explained that they were told by the BI that Slaughter’s case is different. Born to an American father and a Filipina mother, the seven-footer took his oath as a Filipino upon entering college when he was 17 years old.

    Because of his case, the BI issued a certificate of re-acquisition/retention of Philippine citizenship instead.

    “We inquired kasi sa immigration kung ano ang tamang document na kailangan kunin ni Greg because he already took his oath as a Filipino at ’yun nga ang in-issue nila,” said Dy.

    Slaughter’s camp said that they are only following what the law states.

    “They will not issue naman a wrong document because iba-iba naman ang case ng citizenship at ang Immigration ang nakakaalam. If the immigration told us na dapat recognition ang inaapplayan ni Greg, then we would have done so dahil kung ’yun ang batas natin,” Dy added.

    Dy also said that they will appeal Slaughter’s case to the PBA.

    Slaughter, who led Ateneo to two UAAP championships in 2011 and 2012, had to fly to the United States last week to complete his requirements.

    “I was really surprised na hindi siya nakalaro agad because he has been playing for the national team,” said NLEX coach Boyet Fernandez. “Probably, Greg didn’t expect na ganoon ang mangyayari … that is why he went to the US to process everything.”

    ADVERTISEMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓

    Get more of the latest sports news & updates on SPIN.ph

    Read Next
    Watch Now
    Sorry, no results found for
    Greg Slaughter went to the PBA office to submit a certificate of re-acquisition/retention of Philippine citizenship from the Bureau of Immigration but apparently, the league is expecting a different document. Jerome Ascano
  • POLL

    • Quiz

      Quiz Result